Resident health and wellness is at the heart of Kaiser Permanente Hawaii Internal Medicine Residency Program. The KPHI IMRP Resident Wellness Committee was founded in 2021 by then current inpatient chief resident, Dr. Diana Kim, who now serves as faculty sponsor. Run for and by residents, the Resident Wellness Committee is chaired by the co-chief residents (for AY 2023-2024, Dr. Ethan Chun and Dr. Helena Holmgren) with representatives from each class, and an open invitation for all to come and join in if available. We also have a resident wellness champion, Dr. Nick Crump, who also serves as the resident representative on the larger Hawaii Permanente Medical Group Health & Wellness Committee.
For the past year we have continued to develop on the following resident led wellness initiatives to focus on camaraderie among our group and just overall balance out a busy work day with some fun:
- Holiday fun and friendly competitions like pumpkin design contest or other art/craft fun 😉
- Annual holiday party in December to celebrate the holidays/half-way mark of each year
- End of the block happy hour get togethers “Pau Hana" (try to change up the places for good food adventures)
- Volunteer opportunities for us to connect with our community (ex. donation drives, Special Olympics events)
- Outdoor activities (hiking, beach days) – take advantage of living in paradise
- Family oriented activities (picnics, Easter egg hunts, Halloween trick or treating)